Wednesday 6 August 2014

Day 3 - My favourite quote

Well, to be honest – I love almost all quotes that talk about that lover, that friend, that time to change your life, that spirituality, that… you get it, right?

Right, I am that person who stops reading a book in the middle to get up and type out a whole paragraph from it in the phone and share it on social network, later doubting if it mattered to anyone at all! I am the one to whom “love means not ever having to say you’re sorry” is like water to fish, et al.

So, so much for the introduction; and I am sure by now you get what you’re dealing with.

But, and this is a serious but! People, well-meaning ones, keep telling me that it’s about time (if not past it) that I grow up. To them, growing up is synonymous to the realization that self-love is not just the best but the only way to live. And they say, sooner I get it the better for me.

So, in honour of those well-meaning people in my life, let me put this as my favourite quote, though more futuristic and aspirational at the moment than real!

So here we go!


The time will come

when, with elation

you will greet yourself arriving

at your own door, in your own mirror,

and each will smile at the other’s welcome.

And say sit here. Eat.

You will love again the stranger

who was yourself.

Give wine, to the stranger who has loved you.

All your life, whom you ignored

for another, who knows you by heart.

Take down the love letters from the bookshelf.

The photographs, the desperate notes.

Peel your own image from the mirror.

Sit. Feast on your life.


—Derek Walcott








2 comments:

  1. A nice quote ... Actually very nice ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      After a long time I stumbled upon another that I had liked. It goes -

      "In all this falsehood, there are moments when you wonder whether there is anything that is true in this world, anything not shrouded by the cloak of counterfeit. And when you do experience something that's true, you are afraid of it... It's almost too pure to survive."

      Delete

Did you like it? Did you not? Please leave a comment...